There are an endless number of ways to enjoy the heritage sites of our region and Four Rivers Heritage Area’s Maryland Day Weekend is a showcase of fun activities planned for YOU to experience it! The best part? All activities are free or $1. The even better part? You can add onto your freebie fun by entering Visit Annapolis and Anne Arundel County’s Maryland Day Scavenger Hunt! The Hunt—new this year—is an added way to enjoy the more than 30 sites offering Maryland Day events.
Maryland’s birthday is officially on March 25th, a state holiday that commemorates the formal founding of the colony of Maryland, when settlers from England celebrated a Mass of Thanksgiving on St. Clement’s Island in what is now St. Mary’s County, Maryland. In Annapolis and Anne Arundel County, one day of birthday celebrations isn’t enough—we stretch it out for three days!
The family-friendly celebrations include walking tours, living history demonstrations, art and food events, boat tours, hands-on activities and lots more. As your Maryland Day itinerary gets you out experiencing the best our region has to offer, winning the History Getaway prize for this contest will show you some of the best of historic downtown Annapolis! The grand prize includes:
- A night’s stay for up to four guests at Gibson’s Lodgings of Annapolis
- Afternoon Tea for two at Reynold’s Tavern
- Two tickets to the Four Centuries Walking Tour by Annapolis Tours by Watermark
- Two tickets to a Harbor Queen Cruise by Cruises on the Bay by Watermark
To participate in the Maryland Day Scavenger Hunt and be entered to win the grand prize of a History Getaway, here’s what you need to do:
- Visit Marylandday.org to map out your activities for the weekend. Events take place on Friday, March 20, Saturday, March 21 and Sunday, March 22
- Start following Historian Annapolis on facebook and Annapolis Discovered on Instagram now!
- Keep an eye on their social media feeds for Scavenger Hunt hints. You’re watching for clues to be shared on six historical figures
- On Saturday, March 21, clues on specific locations will be revealed. As you figure out the clues, snap a selfie with each historical figure!
- Tag your pics #MarylandDayQuest
- Visit the Visitors Center at 26 West Street to collect a commemorative pin for each historical figure you were able to find! Buttons will be awarded on Saturday, March 21 from 9 am-5 pm
- If you find and selfie with all six, you’ll be entered for the grand prize!
Lastly, keep an eye out for me on the trail! I’m excited for Maryland Day (on my list: Women of Achievement Tour with Annapolis Tours by Watermark and ArtFest Open House at Maryland Hall) and will definitely be vying for the prize of a staycation in my historic town.
Learn more about the contest and prizes from Visit Annapolis.